Admission and matriculation.

Information and support for international students.

Our Department of Mobility and International Programs offers students information, advice and suggestions when moving to Spain and beginning their studies with us. We are here to help you formalise the procedures, find accommodation, find out everything you need to know about living and studying in Valencia, such as applying for health insurance, opening a bank account, etc. 

Before coming to Valencia, it is essential that you understand what legal documents you will need in order to enter, travel and study in Spain. Depending on your country of origin, the process can take up to three months. LABA will assign you a tutor who will help you when preparing all the required documents.  Once you have been admitted to the course and you have reserved your place, LABA will send you the Matriculation Kit with the official acceptance documents along with the specific instructions to formalize the legal proceedings. LABA will guide you throughout the process: prior to your arrival and during your stay. 

Below, we explain the main legal proceedings for international students.

EU/EEA/EFTA students:

If you are a from a member state of the EU (Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Holland, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia and Sweden) or from the United Kingdom, Liechtenstein, Iceland, Norway and Switzerland, you have the right to freedom of movement and residence in Spain. 

However, all students coming from the countries listed above who stay in Spain for more than three months will have to request the registration in the Central Register of Foreign Nationals (this is mandatory). Students will be given a certificate and a Foreign Identification Number (NIE). 

The registration must be processed at a National Police (‘Policía Nacional’) station of the city of residence.

The required documents are the following:

  • Application form (Ex18) and two copies
  • Valid passport or identity card (original and copy)
  • Matriculation of the study centre (original and copy, LABA document)
  • Registration as a resident certificate
  • A completed tax form (790/012) as proof of payment
  • European health card or private insurance that covers all risks during the entire study period in Spain (original and copy). If private insurance has been obtained in your country of origin, the translation must also be provided 
  • Bank statement (Spanish or international) with a minimum amount of 5.16€. 

To complete the procedure, you have to request an appointment with a National Police station (‘Policía Nacional’) through the following website: LABA will help you request an appointment and prepare all the required documents. 

Non-EU students

Students from countries outside the European Union will need to apply for a visa if they want to study in Spain for more than three months. 

Many requirements must be met to receive a visa. Therefore, from the moment you are admitted to LABA, we will assign you a tutor who will guide you throughout the process. 

Depending on your country of origin, the application process may take up to three months to complete. It is important to start as soon as possible to give the embassy or consulate sufficient time to process the application. The temporary student visa must be issued in your country of origin and is only valid for 90 days. The visa is placed in your passport before leaving your country of origin and must be presented to immigration officials upon your entry to Spain

When you reserve your place, your tutor will contact you and you will receive the Matriculation Kit with the official acceptance letter. You can then start completing the necessary procedures. 

The first step will be to obtain a visa at the nearest Spanish Embassy in your country of origin. As a general rule, the following documents are requested: 

  • Health insurance
  • Medical certificate
  • Passport
  • Certificate of no criminal record
  • LABA acceptance letter (the original letter and a copy)
  • Proof of sufficient funds for the duration of your stay
  • Proof of accommodation for the duration of your stay

In some countries, they ask for additional documents such as details of your financial situation or proof of residence in your country of origin. 

Once in Spain, you must apply for the foreigner identification card (TIE), submitting the following documents:

  • Registration as a resident certificate
  • Completed tax form (790/012) as proof of payment
  • Three passport photos
  • Completed official EX-17 form and two copies
  • Registration certification and tuition payment receipt in Spanish
  • Your passport, a copy of the main page and the page that contains your entry stamp from the day of your arrival in Spain for non-EU citizens
  • Student visa and a copy

Given that all these procedures can take time, it is highly recommended to finalise steps 1 and 2 (pre-registration, admission, and registration fee payment) by the end of June.


LABA Valencia. School of Art, Design & New Media – Calle Quart 21-23 – 46001 Valencia, Spain – CIF B40506768 – VAT ESB40506768
Student service phone: +34 626 68 81 51

Privacy Policy | Cookies | Legal Notice